Ask an Eye M.D. Answer Archive

Please read our important medical disclaimer.

What are the options for correction or reduction of high-degree myopia?

High myopia, or nearsightedness, can be corrected with spectacles, but contact lenses give better vision; both can be made in any prescription. Low to intermediate myopia can be treated with LASIK or PRK, if vision is stable and keratoconus has been ruled out. Orthokeratology, which is the use of rigid gas-permeable contact lenses worn at night to reshape the cornea, is effective in low myopia. More invasive procedures can be considered for cases of true high myopia in contact-lens intolerant individuals, including clear lens extraction and phakic intraocular lenses, but these procedures may increase the risk of retinal detachment.

Answered by: Richard G. Shugarman, MD Dr. Richard Shugarman

Categories: Vision Correction, General Eye Health

Have a question that hasn't been answered yet? Ask it!

Answered: Nov 23, 2010

Pop needs to be configured.